President of the EU Parliament David Sassoli and Vice President of the European Commission Věra Jourová were among the eight officials Russia sanctioned.
- In Ukraine’s war-torn east, locals fear poverty more than Russia
- EU slams Russia and China for Western vaccines disinformation campaign
- Brussels will respond to Russian aggression, says EU’s foreign affairs chief
News from Russia and the World
- 06:41 GMT 01.05.2021South Korea, US to Continue Denuclearization Talks With North Korea, Reports SayMOSCOW (Sputnik) – South Korea will encourage the United States to continue long-overdue denuclearization talks with North Korea, media reported on Saturday, citing the South Korean Foreign Ministry.
- 06:09 GMT 01.05.2021GOP Lawmakers Hit Out at Biden for Enacting Travel Ban on India While Leaving Mexican Border OpenDhairya MaheshwariIndia, which has been reeling under a devastating COVID wave, has faced travel restrictions from not only the US, but a number of other countries as well. In recent days, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, the United Kingdom and the United Arab Emirates, among others, have banned the entry of passengers travelling from India.
- 05:21 GMT 01.05.2021‘Tic-Tac UFOs’, Hovering ‘Craft’ Swarming US Navy Vessels Possibly ‘Coming from Underwater Base’Svetlana EkimenkoA stunning 18-second clip allegedly from July 2019 of “spherical” unidentified craft swarming a US Navy destroyer, the USS Russell, at night had earlier been sent anonymously to filmmaker Jeremy Corbell. The footage was supposedly part of a classified briefing led by the Pentagon into Unidentified Aerial Phenomena (UAP).
- 04:30 GMT 01.05.2021Lonely Boy: Golden Retriever Wants to Play BallJust like any substitute desperate to get on the field of play, this doggo is waiting for his turn – although no one is taking any notice. Tragic.
- 04:29 GMT 01.05.20217,000-Year-Old Structures in Saudi Desert Show ‘Earliest Evidence for Cattle Cult’, Scientists SayKirill KurevlevSome of the ancient structures are over 460 meters (1,500 feet) long, but they are relatively narrow and sometimes packed together. They are mostly seen on bedrock, sometimes on rocky outcrops above the desert, but can also be found in mountains and low-lying areas.
- 04:29 GMT 01.05.2021Live Updates: India Reports 401,993 New COVID-19 Cases, Marking Largest Daily IncreaseThe death toll from the global coronavirus infection has topped 3.176 million; over 150.9 million cases of the infection have ben detected, according to Baltimore, Maryland’s Johns Hopkins University, which tracks and compiles data from national and local authorities, the media and other sources.Global COVID-19 Cases Spike to Highest Level Post-Lockdown
- 04:00 GMT 01.05.2021Indian COVID-19 Variant Causes Concern as Sharp Spike in New Infections RecordedPriya YadavThe past two months have seen several countries register the Indian variant, with scientists fearing it may be more transmissible.
- 03:26 GMT 01.05.2021At Least 18 Dead After Fire Breaks Out at COVID-19 Care Center in India’s Bharuch – PhotosAccording to the latest data available, about 50 patients infected with coronavirus were rescued from the four-story Welfare Hospital engulfed in fire with the help of firefighters and local residents.
- 02:57 GMT 01.05.2021Colombian President Says Tax Reform Plans to Be Revised as Mass Protests Hit Country – VideosMOSCOW (Sputnik) – At least 209 police officers have been injured and 185 activists detained during the two-day protests against a tax reform proposal in Colombia, the country’s police said.
- 01:48 GMT 01.05.2021Watch Strong Magnitude 6.6 Earthquake Strike Off Northeastern JapanKirill KurevlevAccording to the preliminary data, the focus was located at a depth of approximately 47 kilometers. The epicenter was in the Pacific Ocean near Miyagi Prefecture. The tremors were felt in the north and east of the country, including in Tokyo.
- 01:36 GMT 01.05.2021Weinstein Given 30 Days to Object to LA Transfer Where He Faces 11 Charges of Rape, Sexual AssaultKirill KurevlevAfter being found guilty of rape and sexual assault in March 2020, the despised media mogul and former co-founder of Miramax Films is currently serving a 23-year term in a maximum-security prison near Buffalo, New York.
- 01:30 GMT 01.05.2021‘Just Like We Did in Syria’: Turkey to Build New Base in Iraqi Kurdistan Amid Anti-PKK OffensiveMorgan ArtyukhinaRoughly 30 million Kurdish people are scattered across four countries. An agreement at the end of World War I foresaw a Kurdish state established out of territories of the former Ottoman Empire, but instead the land was divided between Turkey, Iran, Iraq, and Syria.
- 01:22 GMT 01.05.2021Tributes Pour in After Unexpected Death of South African Zulu Nation Queen MantfombiMariTi Blaise LovellWhen the patriarch of the family passes, it is often met with family tensions that inevitably emerge. After the passing of Goodwill Zwelithini ka Bhekuzulu, the eighth monarch of the Zulu Kingdom earlier this month, many questions have surfaced as to who may take up the throne.
- Russia imposes entry ban on European Parliament president, seven more EU nationalsThe measure was taken in response to the European Council’s sanctions against six Russian nationals of March 2 and 22, 2021 Russian Foreign Ministry© Valery Sharifulin/TASSMOSCOW, April 30. /TASS/. Russia has imposed an entry ban on President of the European Parliament David Sassoli, Berlin chief prosecutor Jorg Raupach and six more citizens of EU nations, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Friday.The measure was taken in response to the European Council’s sanctions against six Russian nationals of March 2 and 22, 2021.Russia’s blacklist also includes Ivars Abolins, chairman of Latvia’s National Electronic Media Council; Maris Baltins, Director of the Latvian State Language Center; Jacques Maire, a member of the French delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe; Asa Scott, Head of the CBRN Protection and Security Division at the Swedish Defense Research Agency; Ilmar Tomusk, Director General of the Language Inspectorate, Estonia; Vera Jourova, Vice President of the European Commission for Values and Transparency.The ministry pointed out that Brussels is ignoring Moscow’s proposals to resolve the existing issues through dialogue. “The EU continues the policy of illegitimate unilateral sanctions against Russian citizens and organizations. Only in March 2021, six Russians were subjected to unlawful EU restrictions. This practice contradicts the UN Charter and the basic norms of international law. It is accompanied by anti-Russian hysteria, deliberately spread by the Western media. There is no substantiating evidence. All our proposals to resolve any problems arising between Russia and the EU by holding a direct professional dialogue are steadily ignored or rejected,” the document reads.Meanwhile, Washington does not attempt to hide its interest in turning the European continent into an arena for geopolitical confrontation once again, the ministry added. “Such actions of the EU leave no room for doubt that its true goal is to hinder the development of our country by any means, to impose its own one-sided concept of a world order based on rules, which undermines international law, and to blatantly challenge the independence of Russia’s foreign and domestic policy. This is done openly and deliberately. And, of course, this is done with the knowledge and encouragement of the US, which does not hide its interest in turning Europe into an arena for acute geopolitical confrontation once again,” the Russian Foreign Ministry said.News from China and the World 01-05-2021How Chinese companies play a vital role in bolstering China-Europe economic tiesThough global growth has been overshadowed by the COVID-19 pandemic, China and Europe have been working together feverishly to bring economic growth back on track.
- Xi Focus: Xi sends greetings to working people nationwide ahead of Int’l Workers’ Day
- CPC leadership holds meeting to study economic work
- China ready to offer support, assistance to help India fight COVID-19: FM
- China, Cyprus to enhance ties, promote China-EU cooperation
- CPEC to take center stage in Pakistan’s development strategy: PM
- Guangzhou port inaugurates sea-rail transport service to Europe
- ‘You want to see a temper tantrum?’: Arizona Republican sides with Democrats, blocks voting bill
- Arizona Republicans recount 2020 ballots behind closed doors
- ‘It’s not safe’: Parents of trans kids plan to flee their states as GOP bills loom
- Biden to transgender Americans: ‘Your president has your back.’00:59 GMT 01.05.2021TikTok Appoints ByteDance CFO to Concurrently Serve as Video-Sharing Platform’s CEOEvan CraigheadTikTok (or Douyin in China), a subsidiary of ByteDance Ltd., has been without a permanent chief executive officer (CEO) since the abrupt resignation of Kevin Mayer – who also served as chief operating officer (COO) of ByteDance. Until recently, former Alphabet executive Vanessa Pappas served as interim CEO for the company News from Latin AmericaBeaches and parks to be closed in Egypt during Sham El-NessimCairo, May 1(Prensa Latina) Several governorates in Egypt announced the closure of all its parks and beaches during the spring festival Sham El-Nessim, to be held on Monday, May 3. Dominican Republic to start 2nd phase of vaccination against Covid-19Santo Domingo, May 1 (Prensa Latina) Dominican Vice President Raquel Peña announced in the capital that the country will advance to the 2nd phase of vaccination against Covid-19 with the incorporation of people over 50 years old to the process. India, China agree to collaborate to fight against Covid-19New Delhi, Apr 30 (Prensa Latina) China will support India with the necessary materials to fight against the new wave of SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, assured on Friday China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi, in a telephone conversation with his Indian counterpart, Subrahmanyam Jaishankar. Scientists announce Abdala’s administration of 3rd dose will finish Havana, Apr 30 (Prensa Latina) Administration of the third dose of Abdala, Cuba’s vaccine candidate against Covid-19, will finish on Saturday as part of the 3rd phase of clinical trials, its developers assured on Friday. Cuban ICAP’s president urges to condemn US blockade Havana, Apr 30 (Prensa Latina) The president of the Cuban Institute of Friendship with the Peoples (ICAP), Fernando Gonzalez, on Friday urged people of good will around the world to condemn the US blockade against Cuba. Russia bans eight EU officials from entering the countryMoscow, Apr 30 (Prensa Latina) Russia’s Foreign Ministry informed on Friday that eight officials of official organizations of the European Union (EU) have been banned from entering the country, in response to restrictive measures against six citizens of this country. Cuba thanks condolences for death of baseball commissioner Havana, Apr 30 (Prensa Latina) The Cuban Baseball Federation (FCB) on Friday thanked the words of condolences from the Caribbean Professional Confederation (CBPC) and its head, Juan Francisco Puello, for the death of Cuba’s commissioner, Ernesto Reynoso. Russia calls for calm between Kyrgyzstan and TajikistanMoscow, Apr 30 (Prensa Latina) The Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Friday declared the need that the governments of Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan reach a lasting agreement to prevent new border clashes. Cuba denounces validity of Trump’s coercive measuresHavana, Apr 30 (Prensa Latina) The current US government continues today without righting over 200 punitive measures against Cuba, assured here the director of the Center for International Policy Research (CIPI), Jose Ramon Cabañas. Cuban representative presents credentials to anti-nuclear bodyVienna, Apr 30 (Prensa Latina) Ambassador Loipa Sanchez presented on Friday her credentials as Cuba’s permanent representative to the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization.