The Russian president was confident that “the traditions of brotherly friendship and mutual assistance, which stood the test of war, will remain the secure foundation for constructive and good-neighborly relations between our countries and people” © Mikhail Klimentyev/Russian Presidential Press and Information Office/TASS
MOSCOW, May 8. /TASS/. Russian President Vladimir Putin has sent Victory Day greetings to the leaders of Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) countries, Abkhazia and South Ossetia, as well as to the people of Georgia and Ukraine, the Kremlin press service said in a statement on Saturday.
“Russian President Vladimir Putin has sent messages to the leaders and people of Azerbaijan, Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Abkhazia and South Ossetia, as well as to the people of Georgia and Ukraine, congratulating them on the 76th anniversary of the Soviet Union’s Victory in the Great Patriotic War,” the statement reads.
“Today, it is our moral duty to carefully preserve the memories of those tough years and pass them on to the new generations. We should stand together to strongly oppose attempts to distort and falsify history, revise the outcome of the Great Patriotic War and justify the heinous atrocities committed by the Nazis and their collaborators,” Putin said, as cited by the Kremlin press service.
The Russian president was confident that “the traditions of brotherly friendship and mutual assistance, which stood the test of war, will remain the secure foundation for constructive and good-neighborly relations between our countries and people.”
Putin also offered words of gratitude to the war veterans and domestic workers, wishing them good health and longevity.
SPUTNIK NEWS 08-05-2021
- 12:28 GMT 08.05.2021Barcelona-Atletico Madrid: Teams Arrive at Camp Nou Ahead of La Liga ClashBarcelona and Atletico Madrid will meet at the Camp Nou for the title race in La Liga.
- 12:26 GMT 08.05.2021Senior Iranian Rabbi Accuses Israel of Cynically Exploiting Judaism to Pursue Own GoalsIlya TsukanovTens of thousands of Muslims in Iran and across the Middle East took part in Friday’s ‘International Quds Day’ protests, an annual Iran-backed campaign of demonstrations meant to show solidarity with the Palestinians. Iranian Jewish leaders have joined in the protests, calling on Jews, Muslims and Christians alike to “stand against” Zionism.
- 12:09 GMT 08.05.2021Babis Asks EU Leaders to Expel ‘at Least 1’ Russian Diplomat in Solidarity With PraguePRAGUE (Sputnik) – Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babis said on Saturday that he had asked other EU leaders to consider expelling “at least one” Russian diplomat in solidarity with Prague over the deadly 2014 ammunition depot explosions in Vrbetice.
- 11:12 GMT 08.05.2021US European Allies Reportedly Struggling to Pace Themselves, Urge Washington to Slow Afghan DrawdownSvetlana EkimenkoThe American troop drawdown from Afghanistan was proceeding according to plan, according to an earlier press statement by Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin, after US and NATO ground forces began to withdraw from the Islamic republic on 1 May, in line with an announcement made by President Joe Biden on 14 April.
- 11:03 GMT 08.05.2021‘Forged’ Suicide Note: FBI Releases Files Claiming ‘Inconsistencies’ in Kurt Cobain’s DeathAleksandra Serebriakova‘Nirvana’ frontman Kurt Cobain was found dead at his home in Seattle on 8 April 1994, with police concluding that the rock star had killed himself with a gunshot to his head. But many fans remained unconvinced, and have been seeking the “truth” for decades.
- 11:00 GMT 08.05.2021The Best Pillow Ever: Cat Cosies Up to Sleepy SheepCats knead things with their paws; the motion resembles the kneading of dough. All cat owners have observed this kitty ritual: they do it before falling asleep or when they want to show affection to their human companions.
- 10:15 GMT 08.05.2021Scandal in French Air Force as Pilots Tie Pilot to Pole at Firing Range and Drop Bombs Around HimIlya TsukanovThe French Penal Code punishes acts of hazing (‘bizutage’) with up to six months in prison and a 7,500 euro fine. Until recently, hazing had been seen as a ‘rite of passage’ symbolising a person’s integration into their peer group, with soldiers, students and workers in some professions subjected to the humiliating and potentially deadly practice.
- 10:14 GMT 08.05.2021Happy-the-Elephant Makes Way Into New York Court Seeking Release From Zoo Captivity, Creates HistoryRadhika ParasharBack in 1971, a female Asian elephant born in the wilderness was reportedly imported to the US from Thailand. The now defunct drive-through natural park Lion Country Safari, Inc. in California bought Happy-the-elephant for $800 along with six other calves and named them all after fairy tale princess Snow White’s dwarf friends.
- 10:07 GMT 08.05.2021Vaccination Drive Smooth Sailing Affair in Delhi Despite Fight for Slots to Register – VideoAdvitya BahlAfter holding a series of meetings over India’s response to record daily surges in Covid cases, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi last month announced the opening up of vaccination for everyone above age 18 from 1 May.
- 09:38 GMT 08.05.2021UK Military Spends £800 mln on More Than a Hundred Challenger 3 TanksArty KatkovAccording to the UK Defence Ministry, the vehicle will be the UK’s first fully-digitised tank.
- 08:31 GMT 08.05.2021Jurgen Klopp Vows to ‘Sort Out’ Liverpool Players ‘Sulking’ Over Failure to Secure Champions LeagueSvetlana EkimenkoEngland’s Liverpool Football Club, which has qualified for the Champions League in the last four seasons, reaching the final twice under team manager Jurgen Klopp, are currently seven points off the top four, with the chances of them catching up looking daunting, albeit not impossible.
- 08:24 GMT 08.05.2021Jews Asked to Apologise for ‘Killing’ Jesus in Sermon Posted by US Military Agency: ReportAleksandra SerebriakovaThe Military Religious Freedom Foundation group was outraged to find out that one Washington agency working with the US military shared a controversial sermon on its website blaming the death of God’s son on Jews.
- 08:10 GMT 08.05.2021Dozens of GOP Legislators Write to TikTok CEO to Stop Cartels from Using App to Advertise SmugglingArty KatkovThe members of Congress have requested information on how the company tackles the illegal activity and the mechanisms it uses to engage with federal agencies.