During a news conference, Health Minister Constantinos Ioannou presented the strategy of relaxing the measures against the pandemic.
Cyprus is introducing a so called “coronapass” as of Monday, 10 May until the end of the month, abolishing the movement by exception permitted once a day by sending a text message to 8998.
According to what the Council of Ministers decided, Coronapass is necessary in places where there are many people, like restaurants, bars, coffee shops, malls, gyms and so forth
The conditions for a Coronapass are:
- A negative Test (pcr /rapid) with a 72 hour validity
- Vaccination of at least one dose and three weeks after it was administered.
- The individual has contracted the virus in the last six months.
The Health Minister said:
- The relaxation of measures will take place gradually until 1 June.
- The first phase will be until 16 May when we will return to the measures that were in place until 25 April
- He referred to the above conditions for a Coronapass
- The Coronapass measure is temporary until immunity is achieved through vaccination
- Police and the relevant services will be responsible for checking
- Vaccinations have exceeded 33% at least with the first dose and the results are already evident
- He also said that immunity will only be achieved with collective effort.
Constantinos Tsioutis, head of the scientific team said:
- The advisory committee does not wish to comment on the measures but to inform the citizens, underlining that we are the solution to the way to face the pandemic
- In May 2020 we started discussing the first plan of relaxing the measures and a year later we still discuss the same things, while hundreds of people have died since.
- Over the past 15 months facts have changed a lot since our lives, our psychology, our economy, education and culture have been affected.
- He appealed to the people, saying that the pandemic will not disappear from one day to the next but we must continue to respect the main measures.